Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2017

We're All Ears :: July Reveal :: Visual Music

Hello everyone!

Please accept my apologies for missing my post on Friday, July 21st. I just returned home from the first ever Adornments Mixed Media Jewelry Retreat held at the gorgeous Chestnut Mountain Resort in Galena, IL. I was fortunate to be one of a team of four teachers. It was beyond fabulous. There were a series of torrential downpours the past few days and as such, we had the spottiest wi-fi around. So I was unable to post and could barely even get my texts to work. Despite that, it was the most inspiring space to create in, with a wall of floor to ceiling windows and a birds' eye view of the Mississippi River and Iowa beyond. This is just one of the spectacular sunset shots from our first night there after a rainstorm moved through. Breathtaking.


It will definitely be an annual event, so keep an eye out for information on next year's retreat!

Since I was carting about 1/3 of my studio the three and a half hour trek to Galena for the week, I brought along a few things that I thought would work for the earrings inspired by the visual music.

The video that I was struck by was the very first one, Debussy's Clair de Lune, with the ring, the colored dots indicating the notes as they played, and the strings denoting the length of each note. I used these internal snap rings from the hardware store to be my bead frame like the circle in the video.

I was hoping to find some red and blue beads that would fit, but I couldn't find two the same in what I brought. So I focused on just the blue ones, wrapping them haphazardly around the ring. At the end I wrapped some of the excess wire through the arc imitating the movement of the lines.


Now it is your turn.... show us what you made inspired by Visual Musical scores. (I hope you added in the link to watch it as I find them fascinating and mesmerizing and compelling to watch over and over again!)


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting this challenge. It was indeed interesting to try out various connections between sound and visual imagery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the challenge! I enjoyed learning about the availability of the visual imagery. It was a challenge to design based on it, but we both did it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to polki jewelry. I looked it up and learned something new. Great job on creating a new line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your earrings have an industrial bling to them. They're a very nice use of hardware parts
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your earrings, and they really do look like the visual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you translated the music visualization into jewelry... Using the snap rings as a base was very clever, and I like the use of wire to echo the movement of the notes. Thank you, as always, for coming up with such awesome challenges... I had a lot of fun playing along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your earrings and the use of snap rings. I see a visit to the hardware store in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun challenge, Erin. And your earrings are perfect. I must admit to my ignorance; I don't know what a "snap ring" is????? But whatever it is, it looks wonderful in your very capable hands! Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete