Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not So Basic Black

I reversed my usual process for this post and assembled my Polyvore outfit first and then made earrings that would coordinate with the ensemble. In the outfit below, I chose purple as an accent color and used pattern and texture to add interest. The earrings are Sterling silver with black ceramic beads that have some shades of mauve and gray, and a little dash of sea green African vinyl beads for additional color.

Back when I was still wearing stylish shoes and my clothes were sort of an "investment", I had some basic black pieces that served as my wardrobe foundation. Black is such a versatile color and has the added benefit of making us look thinner. I would still include pieces in colors that are within my palette. But Instead of having to start over each year in order to have the trendy colors of the current season, all I had to do was add a few new accents, maybe a couple of new tops and a pair of shoes.


The idea is to have basic pieces that can be worn with multiple components, to add contrasting colors and patterns, and to select styles that will be wearable for more than one season. The concept applies to jewelry as well. Start with the basics and then inject your own personality.

Business Lunch


Helmut Lang / Ports 1961 draped top / Stella McCartney long pants / High heels, $22 / Purple bag, $51 / rag & bone

To see more of Gloria Ewing's jewelry, click here or here.

2 comments:

  1. Black is my all time favorite color. And I love the idea of working backwards from an outfit! Cool challenge idea! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete